If you’ve ever seen us at a community health fair, you’ve probably grabbed some of our complimentary ear plugs. But did know that ear plugs are not just to block out your snoring spouse or screaming kids?
Have you heard?
- About 40 million US adults aged 20-69 have noise-induced hearing loss.
- 1 in 4 US adults who report excellent to good hearing already have hearing damage from noise.
- More than half of US adults with hearing damage from noise do not work in noisy environments.
- Noise-induced hearing loss is 100% preventable!
Loud noises can cause permanent damage to our ears, resulting in irreversible hearing loss. Noise-induced hearing loss may not show up for several years even after the damage has already been done. A lot of times, we are exposed to loud, damaging sounds without even realizing it.
Here are some examples of common activities that call for hearing protection:
- Mowing the lawn
- Riding a motorcycle
- Attending a Gator Football game
- Using power tools
- Listening to a concert
- Being at a night club
- Using firearms
Have you found yourself participating in any of the activities above? If so, be sure to get a baseline hearing test and to use appropriate hearing protection (Note that cotton balls do not protect your years!). If you’re interested in custom hearing protection or getting a baseline hearing test, we can take care of that for you! Please give our office a call to schedule a consultation.